Prep: 30 minutes
Cook: 20 minutes
Yield: 8 to 10 servings
Marinate: Option (Hour or overnight)
The Arabic word kabāb means roasted meat. The Shish Kebabs originated in Middle Eastern cuisine, it has spread throughout the region, and even though the European countries and the United State and become a very popular dish around the world. Shish Kebabs are sold as street food in Iraq and the Middle Eastern countries, also it can be purchased at very expensive restaurants. The Kabab Recipe was written by In Ibn Sayyar al-Warraq’s in the 10th-century Baghdadi cookbook Kitab al-Tarikh, he describes the Kabab as cut-up meat that can be fried in a pan or grilled over a fire. Many of the Iraqi people until the present time they would eat Kababs any time of the day, including breakfast.
The Chicken Shish Kebab recipe is a very simple, easy, and very delicious recipe. It consists of meat and vegetables on a skewer and grilled on an open fire. Shish Kebab can be chicken, fish, lamb, beef and grilled vegetables, green peppers, onions, tomatoes, mushrooms. I like to make this recipe when I have a party because you can make a large quantity in a very short time and it is easy to eat no need for utensils or even a plate. Also, you can easily turn it into a sandwich for lunch or dinner.
- 2 whole chicken breast cut in cube
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 squeezed lemon
- 1-3/4 teaspoons salt or preferred taste
- 1 teaspoon Coriander
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon of nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons ground sumac
- 2 tablespoons of Za’atar
- 7 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 tablespoon of Ginger crushed
- Half of the jalapeno pepper crushed
- Vegetable oil, for greasing the pan
- 1 tomato cubed
- 1 Red onion cube
- 1 White onion cubed
- 1 Green Pepper cubed
- 1 Red Pepper cubed
- 1 lb. of Mushroom halved
- In a mixing bowl, combine the cubed chicken, yogurt, olive oil, cumin, lemon juice, salt, Coriander, black pepper, allspice, nutmeg, Za’atar, garlic, and Ginger. You can leave it overnight to marinate or for one hour for fast cooking.
- Thread the chicken onto wooden skewers, alternating with red and white onions, red and green peppers, tomatoes and Mushroom.
- You can put the chicken on one skewer and the mixed vegetable on one skewer just the way you like it.
- Place the Chicken Shish Kebab and Vegetable skewers in a greased baking sheet.
- Heat the oven to 400 degrees and cook for 30 to 35 minutes or until brown. And enjoy this delightful recipe!
Plating the Iraqi Chicken Shish Kebab:
Place pita bread on the dish then the Iraqi Chicken Shish Kebab with mint on the side and with Iraqi Kabab Maqley. Serve and Enjoy